In October 2015, our family got involved in community in a big way. We joined a community collective called the Guildwood Refugee Action Committee (GRACE for short), and signed up to become Refugee Sponsors. It may seem gratuitous, but I am going to put the link to donate to this cause right here, at the top, because I know you may not get all the way down the page. You may have already contributed as an anonymous donor, and if this is the case, thank you! Let me tell you why I care about this so much:
Over the last few years, but especially the summer of 2015, we watched with just an awful feeling, the refugee crisis unfolding in Syria. We are proud supporters of organizations like Doctors Without Borders (msf.ca) and UNICEF (which we still continue to support). This year, we felt compelled to do more.
Together with our neighbours, we formed GRACE, and are rallying a group of friends near and far to raise enough money and put in the time and energy needed to welcome a refugee family to Toronto. And we will support them, with personal attention and assistance as well as money for their first year here in Canada.
We can’t do it without you! Please Help! We need all the support we can get to meet our goal of raising $55,000 to sustain a family of 5 for one year. This includes raising enough to help the family pay back their travel loan to get here, which they will owe back to the Canadian government after one year. If you can, please support this cause! There are a few ways you can do it:
- Please click here to visit our personal fundraising page at Canada Helps and make a donation to support our incoming family. You will get a charitable receipt. And, an amazing feeling, knowing that YOU are making an incredibly meaningful difference in changing a family’s life!
- Mark your calendar for February 20th, 2016, and click here to visit Eventbrite to get your tickets to a Breakfast Fundraiser in support of GRACE. Tickets are $25 or $15 for kids 12 and under. We’ll have lots of great food, a chance to meet people involved in GRACE and live entertainment.
- Do you run a business? We have a sponsorship opportunity for you at our Feb 20 breakfast. In return for a $100 sponsorship, GRACE will promote your business at the event, on our website and facebook pages, as well as in our newsletter that reaches about 150 local people. You can buy a “Sponsor” ticket at the eventbrite site listed above for $100, or please contact graceTOevents@gmail.com to inquire.
- Save the date: Thursday, March 31, 2016, we’ll be holding a silent auction fundraiser. Plan to come on out! If you have items to donate to the auction, please let us know at graceTOevents@gmail.com. Watch this webpage for more details.
- Help the way you want to help. Do you have an idea for how you can help? I’d love to hear it! Please contact me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a comment below.
Thank you friends, family, and friends I haven’t met yet!